Blackfish






I'm not into politics, debates, or controversial discussion ever. In fact, I like to be ignorant of the fact to not have to argue with people who I've grown up with. I have found out that playing dumb is the easiest way to remain peace between people. I feel that a lot  of level-headed adults can go from super nice to "Leave my house and never return" in about five seconds at the mention of religions or political views/opinions.

Although, this is my view on most controversial issues I believe that animals and children should always have people to speak up for them. Even people like me. People who have very little influential power in the world. The future depends on many people to make a collective decision to protect the future and the environment. I usually ride the fence on every single debate. People may even call me hypocritical but what I believe his hard to make black or white. Some times everything is a little grey.

So, on that note let me begin with why killer whales are on my radar in the first place. It started when I was bout 2 years old and hasn't let up since: I have natural love and compassion for living beings. All sorts and it really doesn't matter what animal. I was born in Florida but I haven't been back since we left when I was two. So, I lived my entire childhood and teenage years in Arkansas where the biggest water is the river a few miles down.  I have spent my early toddler years surrounded by cats and dogs and it molded my outlook forever. Whenever my family became to hard to bear I could turn to my fellow friend and it was a comfort I shall never grow out of. Now my decision to love killer whales begins with a simple movie called Free Willy. I watched this thing so many times that my parents took it away and would never let me watch it again. I still love to watch it and all the sequels. I instantly lose my breath and get this overwhelming happiness that brings me to tears every single time I watch the movie or killer whale documentaries.


Naturally, living in Arkansas the only thing I could turn to is television so (readers)  I have no personal experience with whales but I have read until my eyes bleed on whales and have paid close attention to animals natural distinctions and habitats and how animals function in their natural environment. I've always wanted to see a killer whale and SeaWorld seemed to be the fastest, surest way to do that. I still haven't been to SeaWorld but from this new movie Blackfish has came out...I don't the think SeaWorld is the organization I thought it was and I don't think I can support it with a $400. I would rather take my chances on a whale watch anywhere else in the world.

I believed blindly that SeaWorld was an organization that saved stranded, sick younger whales and rehabilitated them. When they saw that there was a good fit, a whale that had been too affected by people interaction, was kept at the SeaWorld facilities protecting the whale's only way to survive. I believed this because it is true that if an animal (take horses for example) have been domesticated and sent into the wild, that wild herds do not accept the stranger, the outcast will in some cases be brutally, physically abused to the point of starvation or murder. Although, this is what I had thought, it seems SeaWorld is not generous, loving company and only believes in money.

This beautiful, large male orca Tilikum is used as a simple breeder kept in a separate pool with very little human interaction and/or orca interaction because SeaWorld has overlooked the basics from the circle of life. Orcas are not property, they are not things, they are intelligent and emotional mammals just like humans. Orcas have emotions and anyone who has spent three minutes observing their behaviors would know instantly. They can get depressed and create psychotic personalities just like humans.

Now for my controversial comment: The trainer should not have been so close into the water with a whale that has murdered two other trainers. At the same time, SeaWorld should not blame the incident solely on the trainer. It was their overall decisions to keep Tilikum for so long and to subject their employees to the possibility of an aggressive 8,000 lb. Orca. It was SeaWorld's overall decision to bring the Orca into the facility and not prepare their trainers with possibility of a murderer in their proximity. It was neither the Orca's fault nor the trainers for the tradegy. Now Tilikum will endure the rest of his life in that pool because he can't be rehabilitated into the wild. He's going to be miserable forever for the sake of lucrative business. I'm sorry that I felt differently before but when it comes down to it, the wild should be observed and helped if it's endanger but humans should be left out of the equation. These beautiful animals should not be kept as sport for the world to see.

Comments

Popular Posts