Journal It Clinic

Sometimes I forget things that I do in life that make me happy or proud. Then I get very sad thinking about what I didn't get to do. So here I am writing it down what I've got to do at the Vet Clinic on my path to Veterinary Assistant. 

Last week, I got to stay over and help run SQ Lactated ringer on a shih tzu. The fluid built up like a large bubble at the site of the needle. It was really hard to hold the dog still while keeping the needle in her skin far enough that we could get a continuous run of fluids. Then, I got to assist on two feline tail amputations. I didn't know much of what to do but I did get to put the EKG monitor on by spraying alcohol on the front left and right leg and the back left leg and then attaching the metal clamps to the armpits of the cats. The first was full grown cat that got hit by car and then ran off for a few days and had maggots in it's tail. The second was a kitten, which I am pet sitting for an owner who lives in VA, and his tail also had maggots. The owner was not sure how it happened considering she just found the kitten, probably a drop off. I got to hold the removed tails and everything. The kitten has had no problems recovering and still has the leg with very tiny bone that is broke. The owner may consider having the leg removed considering that the cat does not use that leg at all, never. It does not seem to be painful but it does seem to be in the way of every day activities for the kitten. Such as, litter box and jumping. 

Then a few nights ago my friend called me for an emergency for her dog Shorty. I did remember how to use my thumb on the dog so the doctor could put meds into a vein. I put my thumb over as far as i could on the leg,squeezed with my thumb and forefinger to cut off circulation, and twisted my hand towards me to make it taunt for the needle. It was like making a tourniquet with my hand.  So I called the doctor but I was nervous about it because I wasn't sure if he would be annoyed or not. Anyways we all rushed to the clinic because Shorty was seizing and slobbering. We gave the dog a few shot but the Owner did not want to leave him with us. So we sent home some meds to help the dog from seizing if he did it again. Well according to my friend he did it all night and the next day he vomited and vomited but he's doing well now which is a relief for everyone. 
What i really want in lif~being a vet! I love animals and i want to save them, and i feel that working around animals makes a harmony

Comments

Popular Posts